Thursday, September 25, 2008

Um, um, good

I really, truly have the best job in the world. 

What other job can one have when you can hang out with friends, tasting a new menu and then acting like a judge on "Iron Chef"?

That's exactly what I did tonight.

David Serrato and Marlene Aguirre, who own Los Amigos Cantina, wanted to have a new dinner menu.

They hired James Shores to come up with a bunch of new dishes.

Now, I've known James since he was about 15. His mother, Nancy, is one of the finest actors you'll ever see in Columbus. Unfortunately, because of health issues, it's been years since she's been on stage.

Tom McCafferty, my actor friend in Los Angeles, keeps saying if Nancy came out to Hollywood, she'd become an instant star.

You see, Nancy can tell stories that will have the most dour person laughing. But she doesn't think she's funny.

Anyway, Nancy and I were joined by Troy Heard and Abby Satterfield tonight. Nancy had us laughing like loons. All she had to do was start telling stories.

And if she would do that on stage, she'd be the most popular stand-up comedian working today.

I digress.

David and Marlene invited a bunch of people to come and try the new menu items. All we had to do was taste and then write our comments on a comment sheet.

There were two soups, several main dishes and several side dishes.

My favorite was the grilled chicken with peach habañero chutney. It also came with green beans. It was to die for, though the chutney was not hot enough.

I love, love, love hot food. The hotter the better. So it was a very mild chutney. I was expecting more.

But it was, nonetheless, a very good dish.

The salmon quesadilla was also excellent.

The catfish fajitas, I didn't even try. I don't like catfish, so I don't eat it.

All in all, I liked almost everything. 

David said he will read all the comments and figure out which dishes will make it to the dinner menu.

I can't wait to see which ones make it.

No comments: