Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Frank Turner

It was just last Friday that I ran into Nell Spettel at Publix. She gave me the sad news that her brother, Frank, had been placed into Columbus Hospice.

I told her that when I got back from Valdosta that I'd go and visit him.

I never had the chance. He died on Saturday and his funeral was Monday.

I didn't know until I read Sunday's paper when I got back yesterday. And I couldn't get online.

My colleague Tim Chitwood wrote the best obit. I know Frank would have loved it.

I first met him years and years ago at Priscilla Black and Don Duncan's wedding. Frank was a stringer for Pris, who was the state editor at one time. She and Frank kept up with each other and he came to the wedding, where he danced with another one of Pris' stringers, Virginia Smith. We lost Mrs. Smith a long time ago, and now Frank is gone, too.

Frank was always a gentleman and always took time to talk to me no matter where we were.

And if you've never been to the Mayor's Office in Pittsview, you really missed something.

I'm going to miss Frank a lot.

My condolences go out to his family.

No comments: