Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Shrine Circus

Today was the third year in a row that I got to be the honorary ringmaster at the Columbus-Fort Benning Shrine Circus.

It's not tough. All I do is go to one of the rings, get introduced, say a few words and blow a whistle.

I always do the 2 p.m. Saturday show. This year, the tiger act was first. It's just amazing to see these huge cats jump through rings of fire and walk a double tightrope.

I usually leave after the first act, but in the darkened third ring, I could see a tiny figure walk up and then climb to the trapeze tower.

I had to stay to see this. I don't know how old that child was, but she was teeny tiny. I kept waiting for her to fly, but she didn't. Well, she kind of did. When the adults did their dismounts, she got on the trapeze and landed very gracefully in the net and then got off.

After the aerialists,  there were these fantastic jugglers. Then the clowns came out. So I stayed. And then came the dog-and-pony act.

Mark Cantrell, the circus director and president of the local Shriners, leaned over and said when he got the elephant act, the dog-and-pony act had to come because the elephant trainer is married to the dog-and-pony trainer.

After a bit, I went over to where our photo chief, Mike Haskey was standing, taking pictures. We both have Chihuahuas. I have my little Chipper, the mean-and-grumpy. He and his wife have two that they inherited from one of Rebecca's sisters who could no longer keep them.

Mike was laughing when he wondered if that woman could train our Chihuahuas. I told him it's too late for my Chipper.

I had to leave because I was meeting my mother and sisters.

Just as I got to Peachtree Mall, I got a call from my friend Oz Roberts. He asked where I was and I told him I was at the mall.

"The mall?" he asked. "You left the circus?"

It turned out he and his daughter, Jessica, were at the circus. When Jessica got on the phone, she said, "Auntie Sandra, didn't you hear me? I kept saying 'Auntie Sandra, Auntie Sandra.' "

I didn't hear her. I'm sorry I didn't because I don't see her often enough.

Mark said the Saturday matinee crowd was the biggest he's seen in years. I knew it was going to be a big crowd because I left the newspaper at 1:40, thinking it would take just a few minutes to get to the Columbus Civic Center.

Oh, no. A few minutes before 2 p.m., I was still stuck on Veterans Parkway. I called Mark and told him where I was.

I got there a few minutes after 2 p.m., when the circus was supposed to start. It was delayed about 10 minutes because there was a huge crowd in the Civic Center lobby waiting to buy tickets.

The Shriners I spoke to were ecstatic, especially since the proceeds of the circus go to the Shriners' hospitals, where children are treated for various life-threatening ailments.

You have two more chances to see the circus -- 1:30 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. tomorrow (Sunday).

With the economy in the shape it is and worries about the rising gas prices, and everything else, go to the circus. You'll forget about things for a while and laugh with your kids. If you don't have kids, borrow some.

You won't be sorry.


1 comment:

Leslie said...

My friend took my 3 girls to the 2:00 show today. They loved it!

~Leslie