Thursday, July 10, 2008

Photos from Japan, Part 5. Crowds.

Everywhere we went, there were crowds. I saw more people in Tokyo Disneyland in one afternoon than I see all year in Columbus. OK. Maybe I'm exaggerating a little, but I don't think so.


There were 60,000 people at Tokyo Disneyland the day we went. This was during the 25th anniversary parade.

The Ginza is a high-rent shopping district, much like Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles. It's full of high-end boutiques and department stores. No 100-yen stores here. The street is closed to traffic, that's why people are in the street. And this is Sunday.

I took this picture at the entrance of the Kiyomizu temple, just to show my mother the huge mass of people coming up the street. I didn't realize until later that someone (probably Patty or John) was taking a picture of Jessica, Fred and Cheryl (in the foreground with the backs to the camera).

We're walking from Harajuku to Shibuya, being jostled around in the crowd.

I was afraid I was going to get run over by people crossing the street in Shibuya when Jessica told me to stop so she could take my picture. That's Izumi walking next to me.


In Shibuya, this is probably one of the most crowded places in the whole country. Kotoe is in the middle, in the brown and tan striped shirt. Izumi is in the right foreground in the baseball cap. Jessica took this photo.

No comments: