Friday, July 11, 2008

Photos from Japan, Part 15. Food.

Cheryl took all these photos of food. At one point, Fred said all we did was eat. But we truly did a lot of eating. "We've been eating ever since we got here," he said. And this is a guy who loves to eat. He did complain a lot about the lack of meat in the Japanese diet.

These are types of eki-ben that is available at this train station. Eki-ben is literally "station bento" or lunch boxes sold at train stations.

We had Chinese food once in a neighborhood just next to Asakusa. It was very, very good.

Jessica's lunch, somewhere in Japan. How can I tell? No sign of meat. Of course, she gave the egg to someone because she's a vegan.

In Asakusa, you can buy fresh, hand-made rice crackers. They are soooo good.

Here's my mother eating a stick of a Japanese delicacy that I cannot describe. The little ball that she's eating is something I cannot stomach. In fact, I ate the first one before I realized what it was and I had to spit it out. Yuck. But she loves it.

This is my pork shoga-yaki lunch. It's ginger pork and it was delicious.

Outside almost every restaurant in Japan, there is a display of the food that is served. This one is obviously sushi. Oh, and the display is plastic.

Various kinds of sake. I bought a bottle and we drank it that night at dinner when we got home.

Tai-yaki. The "tai" comes from the fish-shaped outer layer. The "yaki" means fried. This one is filled with veggies.

The best meal I had in Japan, hands-down. This was the all-tofu lunch. And it was absolutely yummy.


I think this is Fred's udon lunch at the Dragon Bridge.

2 comments:

GeorgiaSmiles said...

So different from our cuisine!
I'd love to travel to Japan someday. Thanks for posting this, I've stolen vicarious pleasure!

sharu said...

I agree what Fred said about the photo's and complaint on japan foods it true the lack of meat in the Japanese diet. Doesn't suit other.
*************
sharu
Addiction Recovery Michigan

Addiction Recovery Michigan