Sunday, August 31, 2008

Valdosta

Here's Scott and Jessica with their grandmother.

To me, Valdosta is just a city on I-75 that we would pass on the way to Florida.

I've been to Valdosta specifically twice. And both times were to go to Wild Adventures Theme Park for stories. Once just an overview of the park. The second was the opening of a new roller coaster and the chance to meet that cute boy from "Survivor."

We've stopped at the outlet mall many times to walk around either on the way to South Florida or on our back home. My brother Fred and his family lived in Hollywood before moving back home after he retired.

That is the extent of my knowledge of the city.

Now my nephew Scott is stationed at Moody Air Base. And I'm sitting in his apartment.

We came yesterday with a bunch of stuff for him. It's his very first apartment. And he's living all by himself. It's an older apartment complex but it's pretty well kept up.

Fred and Cheryl bought him a living room set -- sofa, love seat and chair. The rest of the furniture are flea market finds and Jessica's old bed. But the mattress is new and very comfy.

Of course, I slept on an air mattress in the little bedroom!

But it's very nice and it will be Scott's home for the next two years or so. Maybe less. Maybe more.

I'm glad that he's back in the States. His first base was in Iceland. His second was in England.

Now he's just three hours away! Not an ocean away.

Maybe not so great for him. But great for us.

No comments: