Thursday, August 14, 2008

Max Roberts

Max Roberts was one of the nicest guys in the world.

I was very upset to hear that he had died in a one-car accident.

If you read Richard Hyatt's column yesterday, you know that he was shocked as well.

Max had had health problems for a long, long time.

I first met him on my first day at the Columbus Ledger. Back in 1975, when I started working, the Ledger was the afternoon paper and the Enquirer the morning paper.

Because I was the Green Sheet editor, I kind of worked for both. But technically, I was a Ledger employee.

Max was managing editor, along with Wade Saye. Wait, now I can't remember which man was ME for which paper.

I guess it's just old age on my part.

I went to Max's funeral today, and sat with two newly-retired folks, Jerry Gibson and Harry Franklin.

When the funeral reached the 90-minute mark, I had to leave. I had to do an interview at 4 p.m., so I didn't get to speak to his widow, Beverly.

Beverly is a fine mosaic artist. I had met her first, not knowing she was married to Max.

It was at a reception at the Columbus Museum that I saw Max after not seeing him since he left Columbus in 1976. And he was with Beverly.

It was another of my usual Duh! moments. I just never made the connection. I mean, Roberts is not an unusual last name, is it?

I didn't get to see Max as often as I'd like, but I made sure that he came to Harry's retirement party. He said it had been the first time he'd been in the building since he left. I took him around and introduced him to people. And he got to say hello to other people he remembered.

I really don't know why he remembered me after all those years, but he did.

The world is poorer with Max in it.

My condolences go to Beverly and the rest of Max's family.

-30-

No comments: