Saturday, August 9, 2008

2008 Beijing Olympics

I always love to watch the opening ceremonies and this one did not disappoint.

Did Bob Costas really say there were 15,000 participants in the opening segments? 

The first 2,000 drummers were truly amazing. And it was more and more amazing.

But my mother was right. It was a bit too long.

By the time the athletes began marching in, I was pooped.

Some countries' Olympic outfits were better than others. As always. Ralph Lauren designed the Americans' outfits and it was as you'd expect. Clean, neat sportswear.

My sister, Dorothy, who lives in Charleston, called and we decided that the Peruvian flag bearer was the best. She was the happiest one in the whole stadium.

The little boy who survived the earthquake was the cutest thing. And he looked so tiny compared to Yao Ming, with whom he walked in the stadium. And I don't believe he is 9. He looked like he was 4-years-old. I told Dorothy I'd get him. She reminded me that he survived the earthquake. He was not orphaned. OK, OK.

I always thought the lighting of the Olympic cauldron at the Barcelona Games' opening c ceremony was the best. Remember that one? Where an archer lit it?

Well, this one beat it. Li Ning, the gymnast "flew" like Peter Pan around the stadium and then lit the cauldron, which magically appeared.

I was amazed by the whole thing. I can't wait to see the closing ceremony.

Oh, and I guess some of the competitions!

No comments: