Friday, August 29, 2008

Family-friendly restaurants

A couple of years ago, I saw a piece on the Food Network about a restaurant that catered to couples with young children.

It featured a menu of things that kids love — peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, macaroni and cheese, grilled cheese sandwiches, tacos, pizza.

And the restaurant had kid-sized tables and chairs.

Best of all the walls were painted with that blackboard kind of paint to about 3-feet-high all around. Chalk was laid out for the kids and they could draw and draw and draw.

Very kid-friendly place.

I had lunch today at Los Amigos Cantina downtown and I was talking to the owners, David and Marlene. They were setting up their new menu and David showed me what they're planning for the kids' menu.

Each kids' menu item will come not on a plate but an upside flying disc. The disc will be lined with waxed paper and the food will be placed on the paper. Rice and beans will be in little ramekins. And the kids get to take the discs home. Oh, and they are fluorescent pink, green, orange. Fun colors that kids love.

That got me thinking.

Can you think of any other family-friendly restaurants? I want to do a story about them. But I need your help because I don't have any children.

Now, I don't want to borrow your children. I just need to know where your kids feel welcome and comfortable.

And I really don't want to hear things like Chuck E. Cheese. They better be kid-friendly. And we all know that fast-food establishments have fun things for kids in their children's meals.

So let me know.

No comments: