Saturday, August 16, 2008

I don't think I was ever that young!

This morning, I had to go to Courtyard 1 of Columbus State University to talk to students who were moving into one of three dormitory complexes.

I saw some old friends, Mike and Geri Regnier and Ray Lakes. They were a couple of classes ahead of me when I entered Columbus College in 1975. Mike taught for years at Shaw High School and Geri was the director of alumni affairs for a lot of years. They've both retired, but they're still working, this time both at CSU. Ray took Geri's place as director of alumni affairs.

After I spoke to several young freshmen and their parents, I went back to the residence life area and found Geri and Ray. I told them that I didn't think I was ever as young as those kids!

They assured me that we were, indeed that young ... once.

I met Tim Mescon, the new president of CSU. He's been in office for two weeks and believe it or not, he was helping kids move in. Toting boxes and suitcases! His wife, Lauren, and two of their sons, David and Preston, were helping, too.

If he saw a child wandering around looking lost, he'd ask if they needed some help. Then he'd walk them over to where they needed to go.

It looks like CSU got just the right guy.

Though I surely don't envy him. He's got some challenges coming up, especially with the state budget cuts coming up.

It was a fun assignment on a Saturday morning.

Then I headed for the office to write the story, meet Carmen Williams and the Buzz kids and catch up on To Do for next week.

I picked up dinner from Chef Lee's.

Then it was home to eat and watch the Olympics.

It was Dara Torres and Michael Phelps' night. Dana won two silvers and Michael won his eighth gold. Amazing.

Then Usain Bolt won the gold in the 100 meter run in a world record 9.69 seconds. And he pulled up at the end. The commentators wondered how fast he could have gone if he ran full out the whole way.

Then the commentator, who I can't remember now, said something like it wasn't enough that he cracked 10 seconds, but he was now in "the realm of video games."

That just made me laugh!

When the Olympics came to Atlanta, my friends and I were so pumped up about the games. Sydney and Athens, not so much.

I don't know about my friends, but I'm really into these games. OK, I'm an Olympics geek. I love the pageantry. I love the individual athletes' stories. I love the suspense.

Yup. A sports geek. That's me.

No comments: