Thursday, August 7, 2008

The Phantom of the RiverCenter

I just got home from this evening's "Phantom of the RiverCenter."

The Phantom never showed up, but a chandelier did fall on stage as Kevin Newton and Andy Luker showed how special effects are done.

More than 150 people showed up for the wine tasting and tour. And a good time was had by all.

I don't know how many people signed up to become members of the RiverCenter Ambassadors Network, but this was a great event to show what this group can do: raise money and have fun doing it.

Just because you don't drink doesn't mean you can't come. I really don't drink. What I did was get one wine at each station and sipped a little. Then I'd toss it at the next station. Get a little of one wine. Sip it. Go to the next station, toss it. At the last station, I got a really good merlot. Still, I just took a couple of sips and tossed it.

I saw a friend of mine, Jimmy Motos, who was just there to socialize. He doesn't even pretend to drink like I did.

Besides the wine tasting, the tour was lots of fun. It's been a while since I've been under the stage. And I'd bet 99 percent of the people at the event had never been there.

Someone said there were people there who had never even been in the RiverCenter at all.

I thought everyone in town had been to the RiverCenter. I guess I was wrong.

The Ambassadors have at least two more events planned this year. Neither have dates set. The first is Octoberfest in October featuring different beers and perhaps German food. The second is in November and will feature a tequila tasting.

Someone joked that for the tequila tasting, cabs should be parked in front of the RiverCenter for those who need a ride home.

Actually, that's a great idea.

Congratulations to the RiverCenter staff and the Ambassadors for a fabulous evening.


No comments: