Friday, November 21, 2008

Why, Baby, Why

As I've said before, I'm no fan of country music.

I am a fan of Steve Valentini and Debbie Anderson.

V.J. Roberts called me late this afternoon asking if I'd go see "Why, Baby, Why" with her.

I was struggling with my work laptop, trying to get my work for next week's To Do finished. I mean I was struggling. It seemed every other minute, I was asking my editor for help. I'm certain that she's going to slap me silly by the end of the month.

At least I'm not the only one asking her for help.

When Dawn wasn't available, I was asking Jerry or Elizabeth for help.

It seems there's something wrong, but no one knows exactly what to do.

So I muddled through.

In the meantime, V.J. called asking when I could get free. I told her I had one more page.

Then I finally finished and I met her on the street and we walked to the Springer Opera House's Foley Hall.

Debbie and Steve just may be two of the most talented people in town. They can really, really sing.

You don't have to be a country music fan to appreciate the music of George Jones and Tammy Wynette. And the dialogue written by Paul Pierce is snappy and poignant and funny.

After the show, Steve told me that this was the best time he had doing a show in a long time. I believe it.

Paul said to me about Debbie, "Scratch the surface of this opera singer and you'll find a country music star." He got that right. But then Debbie told me years ago that when she was a kid, she traveled around the Southeast singing gospel and country songs with her family's band.

You have one more chance to see this show. It can be seen at 7:30 p.m. Saturday.

If you love country music, this is the show to see. If you're like me and don't like country music. Go. You might change your mind.

I'm glad V.J. was persistent enough to make me leave my desk.

By the way, happy birthday, Allison! I'm sure you had a great party. I'm sorry I missed it.

But I bet I had a better 40th birthday party.

It was at the Loft and there was a lot of cheesecake instead of birthday cake.

The Springer Opera House was in rehearsal for "A Chorus Line," and during their break, the entire cast came over and sang "One" to me!

It was the best! People still talk about it.

No comments: