Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Life is short

My brother headed for South Florida today. When he lived in Cooper City, he was a sergeant in the Hollywood Police Department.

One of the officers under him was killed in a car accident over the weekend while he was on duty.

He was just 31.

Fred must have liked him because he wouldn't just drop everything to go back to Hollywood. The visitation was tonight and the funeral is in the morning. He'll come back right after the service.

Hollywood is about the same size, population wise, as Columbus. Geographically, it's much smaller. But being so close to Miami and the drug trade, I think it's a lot more dangerous for police officers. He worked in vice and that worried my father, especially when Scott was born. But Fred loved his work. When he retired two years ago when he was 48, I wasn't sure if he'd adjust to retirement. But he loves being retired now.

He does work for my friend Bill Rich, building things. He's been working at the new National Infantry Museum.

I went online to read the stories and when I found a video, I watched it. To my surprise, there's a new police chief. When Fred was promoted to sergeant five years ago, Chadwick Wagner was promoted to assistant chief at the same ceremony.

When I called Fred's cell, my niece answered it. He had stopped in Gainesville to have lunch with her before continuing south.

On his way home, he's picking up Scott in Valdosta, where he's stationed at Moody Air Base.

Now as Thanksgiving draws near, I'm really thankful that Fred was unscathed in his years as an officer in a highly dangerous job. And I'm thankful that Scott hasn't been deployed. He's been in Iceland, England and Valdosta so far.

No comments: