Saturday, May 17, 2008

Trying to go on a long trip is crazy time

I had to come in today to meet with the teen writers of The Buzz.

I've always loved working with young people. Many years ago, I worked as the Ledger-Enquirer's liaison between the teenagers and the Boy Scouts when we sponsored an Explorer Post. I met some of the best young people in town during those years. Later, I was the adviser for the teen page where they wrote for and about kids their age.

For one reason or another, we dropped the association with the Boy Scouts and we dropped the teen page.

A couple of years ago, The Buzz began, but for economic reasons, we dropped the teen page again.

Then Carmen Williams, who wrote for The Buzz, wanted to start it again. But this time online.

What a great idea!

Today, I met with about a dozen kids from Columbus and Phenix City. They talked about the stories they are going to write in the coming weeks.

If you want to join the online Buzz, there's another meeting next Saturday (May 24) here at the Ledger-Enquirer, 17 W. 12th St., at 1 p.m. It will last one hour.

I will be out-of-town for three weeks, and Sonya Sorich, the other adviser, is going to California for her sister's high school graduation. But Chuck Williams will be there to help the kids along.

Chuck is Carmen's father, but don't let that stop you from coming.

To get ready for my trip, I bought my very first laptop. Of course, I know nothing about getting started. I mean, everything here is done for me.

I've been going all over town, trying to get everything ready so I can e-mail stories back here and do my blogging.

I hope I get it all straightened out today.

Actually, I have no choice. I have to!

Wish me luck that I'll get online.

No comments: