Monday, May 19, 2008

Day 1 of my vacation

After staying up all night, packing and repacking our checked suitcases, Groome came early to pick us up.

In a panic, I raced around our house, trying to make sure I had everything. When we got on the Lindsay Creek Bypass to get to the Groome office off Fortson Road, I realized I didn't have my glasses. I called my sister Nancy, and she brought them to me. Thank goodness she was still at our house.

We got on the road around 6 a.m. and got to the Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport with plenty of time to check our luggage, go to our concourse and relax. Well, the line was long getting through security. Fortunately, the line moved quickly.

I had so much stuff in my carry-on baggage that I held up the line. I let a few folks go through before I started going through the gate. And then I realized I still had my shoes on!

Then I had my little bag.

We had a laugh when we all regrouped. Cheryl had forgotten to take off her shoes. I told her not to worry. I forgot, too.

Then our long day got longer. We ate breakfast, then went to our gate. Where we waited again. The Delta agent said there were some mechanical problems and that they were working to fix them.

They let us board about 10:30 a.m., just about 15 minutes after our plane should have left the airport.

We waited on the plane for more than two hours. They kept making announcements that mechanics were working to fix the problem. Something about maybe a short in the circuitry. Then it was the computer chip not working.

Finally, they told us to leave the plane. And take everything with us. One of the flight attendants said we'd have a different plane taking us to Tokyo,

As we left the plane a Delta rep handed us each a $7 meal voucher.

By the tine we all met at the gate to eat lunch, Cheryl, who was the last one to arrive, said the flight was going to take off at 4:30 p.m. That's more than six hours after our flight was supposed to leave.

About an hour later, they made the announcement that the flight was canceled, and for us to go to the information desk. We hot-footed it over there, head of most of the big rush.

We still had to wait a good half-hour.

But we got a flight tomorrow. We leave at 7 a.m. There's a lay-over in Los Angeles at 11:40 a.m. and then we arrive at Narita International Airport at something like 3 p.m.

So we lose a day, actually we lose two days. My brother asked since we're missing time in Japan, could we change our return day. We were told that it's just one day. That's not worth the effort.

They gave us $21 in meal vouchers, a room at the Hyatt Place in East Point, a toiletry kit with a Delta T-shirt and telephone calling cards so we can get in touch with our relatives in Japan to let them know we are NOT coming Tuesday.

We were all Mr. and Ms. Grumpypants, but we were pleasantly surprised by the room. The restaurant? Not so much. It's more of a cafeteria.

So we're kicking back and relaxing. I'm sure we'll all fall asleep easily and quickly tonight. But we're in for another early morning tomorrow.

And if you're wondering about my babies, Chipper, Piiko and Pookie Belle, they are not happy. Nancy said Pookie was so scared that she peed in the vet's office. Pookie and Piiko were crying and whining when she left. Chipper was barking, until someone took off his collar and he was fine.

I hope they're not that angry that they're not getting to spend time in Alabama with Trish. But I just couldn't afford it.

I know they'll be very angry with me when I get back.

But they're dogs and they'll get over it. I hope!

And I'm also hoping that things will go more smoothly tonorrow and we get to Tokyo safe and sound.

1 comment:

Troy Heard said...

Oy vey! Next time you're stuck in Hartsfield try the food at Pacal's...not as good as Minnie's...but when you're coming in from a place with NO soul food, it's a great welcome home.