Monday, May 12, 2008

The Buzz

I've always enjoyed working with teenagers, especially those who want to become journalists.

But even 15 years ago, I asked if they really wanted to become journalists. Today, the way the industry is changing, I still ask them if this is what they want to do.

The last time we had teenagers writing their own section was at least two years ago, with The Buzz.

Carmen Williams, whom I've known since she was an infant, came to love newspapers through her parents. Both parents are journalists. Mandy still writes a column for us, even though she "retired" some years back. Chuck is a senior writer here.

Carmen is now a junior at Columbus High School, and used to write for The Buzz. She wanted to start it again, though this time, as an online newspaper written for, by and about teenagers.

I think it's a great idea.

If you're in high school and want to write for The Buzz, there will be an organizational meeting at 1 p.m. Saturday here in the newsroom. So if you want to participate, come on down!

Carmen will be very glad to see you.

So will I.

No comments: