Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Adventure Girl Sandra

A young friend of mine, Colby Cardin, called me Adventure Girl Sandra after he found out that I'd gone sky-diving.

At the time, he was an outdoor guide and I asked him about hang-gliding. That's when he came up with that name.

Now, I'm adventurous to a point.

I figured I was sky-diving with an instructor. It's kind of strange to be hooked up to a man I'd never seen before in my life. And he had my life in his hands. But it was the most exhilarating thing I'd ever done.

So I thought about hang-gliding. But after I thought about it, it sounded a whole lot more dangerous than jumping out of a plane with a stranger strapped to my back.

I dropped that little project.

A few months ago, I met Scott Goodknight.

He teachers firewalking.

Again, no thank you.

Scott does good things, though, with his firewalking.

He's doing a Firewalk for Childhood Cancer Tour, and is kicking it off at 7 p.m. Monday at the Mediterranean Café on Sidney Simons Blvd

It's all-you-can-eat Mediterranean-style cuisine for $20. Kids eat for $5.

The proceeds go to the Firewalk for Childhood Cancer Tour Fund

Scott will show a short film about firewalking and how the tour will help raise funds for childhood cancer research. After the film, Becky Paul, the grandmother of a cancer patient will speak. He had done a firewalk for Chloe Shiver last month, and raised a good bit of money for the family to pay medical bills.

For tickets or more information call 706-320-9111 or go to www.fearintoaction.com

No comments: