Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Volunteers

I was invited to the annual Christmas dinner for the volunteers at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts tonight.

I know that there are a lot of volunteers because at every event I've been to, they are everywhere.

I didn't realize that there are almost 300 volunteers.

I was a little late getting there and I saw Darlene Kittrell, who is the marketing director. We talked for a bit and then we walked to the Bill Heard Theatre stage where the tables were set up. I walked around the corner and said, "Holy crap!"

I couldn't believe the number of people sitting on that stage.

I sat with some very nice people. I only remember Alice Spengler. But there was another nice couple.

Dinner was very nice, catered by the Rankin.

Door prizes were given out, and some people were honored for their service, including two women who have worked more than 1,000 hours. Jeanne Fessenden (new DA Julia Slater's mother) and Nancy Skaife. If you saw either of these women, you'll recognize them. Especially Nancy, who always wears her signature over-sized glasses.

Jeanette Cauthen, Chuck Fessenden (Jeanne's husband and Julia's father), Doug McLeod and Mary Noles have served more than 750 hours.

You know, when I retire, I'm going to become a RiverCenter volunteer and a docent at the Columbus Museum and Springer Opera House.

Maybe one day, I'll get a pin for serving 1,000 hours somewhere.

Wait. I bet I've served at least 100 hours giving tours at the Springer already. And I'm not even a docent. I wonder if those hours will count.

No comments: