Monday, December 1, 2008

Billy Joel and Elton John

Back in 1994, I got to see a great concert featuring Elton John and Billy Joel together for the first time.

Now, John and Joel, the most successful and longest-running concert pairing in pop history, will reunite for their Face 2 Face tour and will perform in Atlanta's Philips Arena at 7:30 p.m. March 14.

The format for the concert will be the same. They perform a few songs together, playing dual pianos. Then each do a solo set. They end the concert together with both bands.

It's incredible. And I'm not particularly a fan of either. But I did like the show a lot.

The press release had two quotes from the musicians:

“I love touring with Billy. I have the greatest respect for him and we’re such good friends,” John said.

"The great thing about performing with Elton is that he is such a good piano player and that makes me have to dig deep to keep up with him, not to mention I've got the best seat in the house — only one piano away from Elton John!” said Joel.

John and Joel played the first date of their co-headlining Face 2 Face tour on July 8, 1994 in Philadelphia. That Veterans Stadium concert began a run of 21 sold-out performances in 13 cities and established a winning formula for all future Face 2 Face concerts. They last toured together in 2003.

Tickets are $55, $101 and $181, and go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday. We had really good seats in the Georgia Dome and I can promise you we didn't pay $181. Inflation, I guess.

If you can afford it, it's really worth the price of the ticket.

Tickets are available at all Ticketmaster locations, which includes Publix grocery stores in the Columbus area, or by going to www.ticketmaster.com To charge by phone, call 404-249-6400.

No comments: