Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Valley, Ala.'s Christmas Merry-Go-Round

I have known Linda Fulcher for many, many years. When I was the TV Book editor, I got to know all of the cable TV operators in our circulation area as well as all the TV folks from on-air personalities to executives.

Since I quit doing the TV thing, I still see some of the people I used to talk to once a week.

Linda's one of those folks. Actually, when I first met her, she was working at West Point Pepperell. It was later that she started working for the cable company in Valley, Ala.

When the Columbus Cottonmouths came to town, Linda was always there whenever I was.

The past few years, she's called me around this time of year, asking me to come visit her in Valley so I could ride the Christmas Merry-Go-Round at the Valley Sportsplex Complex.

There will be a special opening for the Merry-Go-Round from noon-5 p.m. Saturday. Tommy Johns' "Arctic Express — A Magical Train Tour of Winter Festivals of the World" will entertain with magic, puppets, music, balloon tying and storytelling. And, no, it's not the pitcher. This Tommy Johns (there's an "s" at the end of John), a local magician.

Kids and try to catch a trout with Lawton's Trout Farm. You can visit Santa Claus in Santa's House. There will be 20 food and artists booths.

There's no admission Saturday.

I guess I need to visit Valley this month.

The Christmas Merry-Go-Round hours are 10 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Saturday and noon-5 p.m. Sunday through Dec. 23. Christmas Eve hours are 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

To get to the Sportsplex Complex, take U.S. 280 from Columbus to I-85 North to Valley. Take Exit 77 at the Ford car dealership. Take a right onto Fob James Drive. Take a right at the first traffic light onto Fairfax Bypass. The first right is Sportsplex Drive. Taken Sportsplex Drive to the end and find a parking space. The Merry-Go-Round is on the right ball field.

The best part of the Christmas Merry-Go-Round? It's free!

Call the Valley Community Center at 334-756-5290.

There's also a musical, "The Cotton Mill Christmas," at 7 p.m. Saturday by the First Community Theatre in the Langdale Theatre. It's about the holiday traditions that make Valley what it is.

To get to the Langdale Theatre, take U.S. 280 to I-85. Go north and taken Exit 77 and turn right. Go 2.5 miles to the second traffic light in front of the Valley First Baptist Church. Turn right. The theater is about 300 yards on the right, adjacent to LaFayette Lanier Elementary School.

Tickets are $5-$8, and will be available at the door.

Call 334-756-5228 or 334-756-5232.

2 comments:

Troy Heard said...

Ah...I'd be at the show in a heartbeat if I weren't in Savannah with "Lion, Witch"...why doesn't Columbus have something like that?

Sandra Okamoto said...

They're waiting for you do write it.