Wednesday, April 2, 2008

"Dancing with the Stars" and "Blood Wedding"

I almost forgot!

Steve "Gutt" Guttenberg was eliminated from "Dancing with the Stars" last night. I liked him. He brings that playfulness like George Hamilton did a few seasons ago.

I'm surprised Adam Corolla is still there. I predicted he'd be the first to go. I guess the "Man Show" fans are calling in. Or his buddy Jimmy Kimmel is keeping the phone lines busy.

Columbus State University is presenting "Blood Wedding" this weekend, starting Thursday.

I'd never heard of it, but that's not surprising because I'm not really a theater scholar. I know most of the "known" plays.

This one is by Spanish dramatist and poet Federico García Lorca. It's based on the true story of a bride who leaves her bridegroom on the day of their wedding with her former boyfriend.

"Blood Wedding" (“Bodas de Sangre”) was written in 1932 and first performed in 1933. It's the first play of Lorca's trilogy of rural tragedies.

Show times are 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday and 2 p.m. Sunday in the Theatre on the Park, CSU Corn Center for the Visual Arts, 6 W. 10th St. (the corner of 10th Street and Bay Avenue)

Tickets are $15, $13 for seniors, children, active military and CSU alumni.

At 5 p.m. Saturday, CSU Spanish language professor José Barroco-Castro will discuss "Lorca's Theory of Duende, Flamenco Culture and Poetics" as a companion lecture to the play. Guests bring a picnic basket for conversation between the lecture and the performance. It's free.

Call 706-507-8444.

No comments: