Sunday, March 2, 2008

Yikes!

It doesn't pay to get sick or even just take a day off.

I had some problems with my contacts Thursday night and when I got up Friday morning, my left eye was swollen shut. I looked like I'd been crying for a week. But with just one eye.

It was unsightly, so I called in and said wasn't coming in. I wasn't sick, just vain.

I did a phone interview from home on Friday and did another interview at the Liberty Theatre Saturday afternoon. Fortunately, by late afternoon Friday, my face looked normal.

That meant I had to come in today.

But that's OK because it's quiet and I got a lot done.

I read my e-mails and I discovered that Jill Carroll of the Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center wants me to judge the Hiss Columbus Pageant.

That's where the "Yikes!" comes in.

I'm deathly afraid of snakes. But I told Jill that I would fight my fears and be a judge.

After all, it's probably safer than my stint judging the Little Miss Columbus Pageant a few weeks ago!

The Hiss Columbus Pageant is March 9. She promised that I wouldn't have to get up-close-and-personal with any of the snakes.

Come on by and see how I'm holding up.

The "pageant" is part of the Eighth Annual Reptile Festival at noon-4 p.m. You can see native and exotic snakes, lizards, turtles and alligators. Tickets are $2.

Call 706-697-4090 for more information and if you want to enter your reptile.

No comments: