Friday, March 28, 2008

George Michael concert set for July 31 in Atlanta's Philips Arena

I got an e-mail just now that British pop star George Michael will begin his first North American tour in 17 years on June 17 in San Diego.

The "25 Live Tour" comes to Atlanta's Philips Arena, 1 Philips Drive, at 8 p.m. July 31.

Tickets are $47, $87 and $152, and go on sale at 10 a.m. April 5.

Tickets will be available locally through area Publix grocery stores, by calling 404-249-6400 or by going to www.ticketmaster.com

I actually had tickets for his concert in Atlanta 17 years ago in Fulton County Stadium.

My friend Linda Szabo, who is the executive director of the March of Dimes, had gone on her phone and kept calling and calling until she got through and bought five tickets.

The afternoon of the concert, we met at her house. It was Linda; her sister, Laura; their brother, Bobby and his then-girlfriend. And me.

We all got into Linda's car and were on the way to the concert.

We parked and Linda started rummaging in her purse to get lipstick or a brush or something.

I think it was Laura who asked about the tickets.

Linda rummaged some more and turned on her brother, "This isn't funny." The tickets were nowhere to be found.

We found a phone and when she called home, her mother said the tickets were on the dining room table.

Poor Linda was soooo upset. The rest of us laughed it off. We had dinner somewhere and as we passed the stadium, Bobby, who was in the back, said, "Oh, I think he's singing that monkey song!"

That had us laughing.

Linda made some excuse to Ticketmaster and got her money back.

But ever since then, no matter if the event is in town, my mother and my siblings always ask, "Do you have the tickets?" In fact, we have to see them!

I bet the Szabo family does the same thing.

Linda hates to be reminded of this incident. But I had to, Linda.

No comments: