Tuesday, March 18, 2008

School plays

I always get requests that I do stories about high school and middle school plays.

I always decline.

"Why? This is going to be a great production," is what I hear from the teachers and parents. Oh, my goodness, the parents and grandparents that I hear from!

I'm sure these shows are all wonderful. It's just that I don't have time. I barely have time to do what I'm doing now.

The arts is getting to be big business in Columbus.

Besides the Springer Opera House and the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts, we've got the Liberty Theatre, Columbus State University's fine arts complex and now the Chattahoochee Shakespeare Co. I'll say it again: I barely have time to cover all of these events.

We always put the shows that the Family Theatre does. That's one organization I really haven't had time to cover. And I'd cover their shows before I do high school and middle school plays.

In fact, the Family Theatre is producing "Our Town" right now. It can be seen at 7:30 p.m. March 21-22 and March 28-29 in the Rose Hill Baptist Church, 2100 Hamilton Road.

This is Jean Morris and Ed Summey and Mr. and Mrs. Webb. It's been a while since Ed's been in a show in Columbus, so it's great to see him back on stage. And Jean is married to my very first editor. Ralph Morris was my first editor here at the Ledger-Enquirer 33 years ago. They moved back to Columbus after he retired as publisher of the newspaper in Highlands, N.C.

The play by Thornton Wilder is set in Grover's Corners in a 1930-era theater. The stage manager creates the show that tells the history of the town from 1901-13.

Tickets are $10, $8 for students and seniors; $30 for a family.

Call 706-536-8052

I truly do not have anything against student productions. It's just that if I do a story about one, I'd have to do a story about each one. And again, I simply don't have the time to do my job and then cover high school and middle school shows. I just will not do it.

Brookstone School does a big musical every spring.

This year, it's “Damn Yankees.” You can see it at 8 p.m. March 27-29 in the Turner Fine Arts Center on the Brookstone campus, 440 Bradley Park Drive. Tickets are $12, $10 for students in advance. They are $14, $12 for students at the door. They go on sale Thursday.

This photo features Frank Schley as the devilish Mr. Applegate and Rachel Martz
as his sexy sidekick Lola.

Call 706-324-1392

No comments: