Thursday, February 7, 2008

This and that

About 10 years ago, we had a new assistant to the executive editor. She had just retired from the Air Force, so some people called her Sarge.

I called her Rhonda.

When I found out that she lived in Opelika and commuted every day, I told her to be very careful because the 280 Bypass is so dangerous. I called it the "death road."

She scoffed.

About a month later, she came to me and said that I was right. Of course I was right!

Anyway, I thought of Rhonda yesterday when I was going to Jordan High School to interview Austin Scott for a new series I'm doing. I'll tell you more about that later.

The car ahead of me had a bumper sticker that said, "Pray for me. I drive on the Phenix City Bypass."

I drove to Auburn Monday and the drive wasn't too bad, though the traffic was heavy. No one was really driving like a maniac.

I did buy gas for $2.82 a gallon, which was about $.15 less than gas in Columbus. Why is that?

No comments: