Wednesday, February 13, 2008

"Movin' Out"

I missed "Movin' Out" on Sunday at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.

I wanted to go, but because it was a one-nighter, the tickets were made available to season ticket holders first, so it sold out fast.

V.J. Roberts went and said it was fabulous.

I interviewed Matthew Friedman, who played "The Piano Man," and he told some funny stories. I guess it helps that he was an attorney in his previous life.

Anyway, he went to Japan with the show and told me that Konishiki, the Hawaiian-born sumo wrestler, was in the audience one night. Matthew said usually, when you're on stage, you really can't see anyone in the audience.

He said he couldn't help but see Konishiki. The theater took out three seats and put in a bench for Konishiki so he could watch the show.

After the show, Konishiki went backstage and Matthew (far right) and the band had their picture taken with him.

Ten years ago, when I was in Japan, I was visiting my cousin Kotoe, who lives in the Edogawa section of Tokyo.

There's a sumo stable nearby and she said you can smell the sumo wrestlers before you see them. What? That puzzled me until I smelled something very perfume-y and sweet. Just then, a sumo wrestler on a bicycle passed me. That was a sight!

That explained that cryptic thing that Kotoe said. It's the hair oil they use to keep their hair in the distinctive top-knot.

We also got a tour of Fuji Television in Odaiba, which is a section of Tokyo that's on Tokyo Bay. One of Kotoe's friends works there and she gave us the VIP tour.

It was just before Christmas and there was a special being taped. Japanese television is goofy. If you think American television is crappy, it's "Masterpiece Theatre" compared to the real crap on Japanese TV.

This special featured the various "talents" of sumo wrestlers vs. Japanese baseball players.

I peeked into the green room and it was filled with sumo wrestlers. Several of them were stretching and I was very impressed. These huge guys were doing splits! I can't do splits. Never could; never will.

And then I spotted Akebono, another American wrestler. Akebono was the first American to become a yokozuna or grand champion. The highest ranking Konishiki ever got to was ozeki (the second highest rank in sumo).

Akebono (born Chad Rowan in Hawaii) is the biggest human being I've ever seen. I met Dikembe Mutumbo and he's probably the tallest person I've stood next to, but Akebono is 6'-8" tall and weighed well over 500 lbs.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to interview him. That would have been great.

Maybe next time.

Ever wonder how those guys get to be so big?

It's the chanko-nabe. Chanko-nabe is the dish that sumo wrestlers eat at every meal. In a pot, they throw in chicken, pork and seafood and make a broth. Then they throw in all sorts of vegetables. When all the meat and veggies are gone, they put either noodles or rice and you eat that until it's all gone.

A lot of retired wrestlers open up these chanko-nabe restaurants. My aunt took us to one.

It was great. And I was soooo full. I'm sure I looked like a little sumo wrestler after I rolled out the restaurant.

The good thing about Japan is that you have to walk everywhere. You walk to the train or bus station or to a street where you can find a cab.

We'll be going to Japan in May, and I'll be doing a blog from there.

No comments: