Monday, February 25, 2008

The Oscars

This was the first year in, oh, probably 20 years that I did not fill out an Oscar poll. I guess with the writers' strike and all, I wasn't that interested.

And, sad to say, I hadn't seen very many movies at all. I mean, at all.

I blame Tom Ford. When Tom was here, he was the one who kept us going to movies every week. Sometimes multiple times. We watched movies all the time. So the only categories where we guessed were the foreign films, short films and documentaries. And we'd go to Atlanta to see some of the foreign films, so even those were not wild guesses.

But then he moved to Los Angeles to work in visual effects. Tom says he's too busy to go to movies now, too. One day, he said he went to work in the movie industry to see more movies and wound up watching fewer films.

OK, so it's really not Tom's fault that I haven't gone to see any movies this past year. I always made excuses. I'll go after work, but then I'd be too tired to go after work. On weekends, I'd spend more time resting that going out. Maybe I'm just getting old. All right, there's no maybe about it. I am getting old!

I did watch the whole Oscars, which didn't run too long this year.

I just didn't find Jon Stewart that funny. Maybe eight days isn't enough time to come up with a good workable script for the Oscars.

Maybe he's just not that good.

But then even the dresses weren't that great this year. None were really memorable, either in a good way or a bad way.

Where was this year's swan dress? No where to be seen.

Where was this year's Halle Berry dress from the year she won the Oscar? No where to be seen.

It seemed to me that the best dressed women were the pregnant ones — Cate Blanchette, Nicole Kidman and Jessica Alba.

To me, the best dressed woman wasn't an actor. It was Alexandra Byrne, who won the best costume Oscar for "Elizabeth: The Golden Age."

And where was Halle Berry? I know she's pregnant, too. And she couldn't be as pregnant as Blanchette, could she?

The best part about the Oscars? Jimmy Kimmel's show after the local news.

He did this hilarious video that he was "f---ing Ben Affleck." Apparently it was in retaliation to his girlfriend Sarah Silvernman's "I'm f---ing Matt Damon."

But in Kimmel's video, he had Brad Pitt playing the FedEx guy. And in the video within the video, there was a "We Are the World" set-up featuring people like Josh Groban, Cameron Diaz, Harrison Ford, Lance Bass, Huey Lewis, Macy Gray, Don Cheadle, Robin Williams and the Madden boys from Good Charlotte.

It is hilarious!

Both videos are on YouTube.

Check it out.

Here's hoping next year's Oscars are better.

Tell me what you thought of the whole show and the clothing that goes along with it.

No comments: