Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Pottery show

I always say that when I retire, I'm going to learn how to throw a pot.

I'd do it now except I'd have to cut my nails really short and I'm loath to do that. My fingers are short enough! When I have really short nails, my hands look like they belong to a 5-year-old. My hands really look like a toddler's, complete with dimples. Really. Well, now that I'm almost 55-years-old, I do have a couple of age spots and a scar on my left hand where my Chihuahua, Chipper, got me two weeks ago. Chipper, who is, as you know, an ill-tempered little boy, got mad at me when I told him he had to go out. He didn't want to go out and he didn't like it that I told him he had to, so he struck out at me.

I digress.

There's a pottery show called "Perspectives '07" at the Oconee Cultural Arts Foundation, 34 School St., in Watkinsville, Ga. Watkinsville, I'm told, is just south of Athens.

Our very own Jeff Kaller and Tina Reuterberg, who teach at Columbus State University's art department, will have their pots in the show. Other area potters, Stephen Hawks of Lumpkin and Allen Gee of Greenville, are among the 50 Georgia potters in the show.

The opening reception is 6-9 p.m. Friday and it costs $5.

The regular hours are 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Tuesday-Friday and 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 1-19. The exhibit is free. And remember, you can buy many of the works on display.

There are two workshops: "Image Transfer to Ceramics Without Firing," 9 a.m.-noon and "From Pet Portraits to Complex Conceptual Elitist Installation Imagery: Success with Laser Print Transfers," 1-4 p.m. Saturday. The fee is $55 for each; $60 for both. Lunch is included.

"Simple Glaze," an exhibit of pots by Geoff Pickett, can be seen Sept. 1-19 in the Members Gallery.

And then there's the Athens Pottery Studio Tours, 1-5 p.m. Sept. 9. It's free.

Call 706-769-4565, or go to www.ocaf.com

No comments: