Friday, June 29, 2007

The Springer Theater Academy

I just watched the end-of-the-session performance at the Springer Theater Academy.

No, I don't have any kids in the program. I do know a bunch of the teachers and a couple of the students.

It's one of those family things. My sister-in-law has a brother, whose son, Aaron, was one of the students. Aaron's mother, Dena, made it clear that she expected us to be there.

And you don't want to get on Dena's bad side. I think that's what makes her such a great teacher. She's a wonderful woman with a great sense of humor. But if you get her riled, watch out. All the kids in her class probably don't want to rile her. Smart kids.

About 30 minutes in the show, my brother was beginning to snore. I nudged him and asked if he was sure Aaron was in the class.

Fred said he was in the two-week session.

So?

But just then, Aaron made his appearance. Apparently, the older kids in this particular session were going last. Then they mixed up the classes again.

Anyway, the performance was great. I did learn, however, that poor Aaron has no sense of rhythm. I was watching him!

He looked like he was having a great time.

After the show, I spoke to several of the teachers whom I haven't seen in a while. Folks like Rearcous Smith, Aileen Fowler and Tafee Patterson. Dave Holland left the stage before I could say hello.

Ron Anderson, the director of the academy, says the older, most experienced kids can be seen in "Lilly's Plastic Purple Purse," which opens July 13 for two weekends. Check that one out if you want to see some talented kids.

No comments: