Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Nancy Drew, Girl Detective

I'd forgotten about Nancy Drew until I began seeing stories about the movie that's coming out Friday. It stars Emma Roberts, Eric Roberts' daughter (and Julia Roberts' niece), as Nancy.

I thought it would be interesting to find some local fans of the teenaged detective. I e-mailed Wanda Edwards at the Columbus Public Library to see what the local libraries are doing as a tie-in to the movie. After checking around, she didn't find any special programs.

So when I ran into Rebecca Haskey, who just happens to be married to our chief photographer, I asked if Barnes & Noble was doing something. She said she'd check. Rebecca is the assistant manager at B&N.

A few days later, I got an e-mail from Kim Drew, who said she and her daughter, Anna Katherine, were big fans.

Thank you, Rebecca!

I set up an interview and when I got to their house, Kim had invited Tiffany Grier, and her daughter, Molly, who are also Nancy fans.

The two mother-daughter duos and I had a great time discussing the Nancy Drew stories.

It turned out that both Kim and Tiffany were encouraged to read the series by their mothers, who had read the Nancy Drew books.

So I was dealing with third generation Nancy Drew readers with Anna Katherine and Molly.

That is such a great thing.

I've always loved the books myself. I read 'em all. Well, until I outgrew them. I'm guessing I was in the sixth grade or so when I quit reading them.

Kim is taking a group of girls -- and their moms to the early evening showing of the movie. They've invited to me come along.

I just may take them up on that invitation.

If you see the movie this weekend, let me know what you think of the film and especially if you think Emma Roberts makes a good Nancy Drew.

I interviewed Roberts a few years ago when he was doing a play in Atlanta. During the interview, I asked about his daughter. He said she was being considered for several series and he really sounded like a proud father.

No comments: