Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Columbus Jazz Society



Laura Lowe took this picture of Montheletha Mitchell Monday night at the Loft.




Sally Morgan took this photo of Jan Hyatt and Michael Hoskin during their performance Monday night at the Loft.


Edred Mitchell was always a gentleman. And a very, very talented musician.

I met him when he was in the orchestra in a show at the Springer Opera House. I can't remember what show it was. It may even have been in "Guys & Dolls," the 1993 version that I was in.

Edred was always unfailingly polite, quiet and, did I saw talented? Yes, a very talented bass player.

He died a few months ago of brain cancer. It's that familiar sad story -- Edred had no life insurance, so he had no money to leave for his family.

The Columbus Film Society stepped in hold a benefit concert for the Mitchell family last month. There was another one tonight at the Loft.

I don't know how much was raised, but I think it will help the Mitchells.

I got an e-mail from Jan Hyatt, who said that Michael Hoskin was expecting to see me.

Jan and Michael together again was something I wanted to see. Jan is a fabulous singer and Michael is one of the best saxophonists I've ever heard.

They went on first, backed up by bassist Edward Robinson, keyboard player Tom Chadwick and drummer David Morgan.

This was the group I used to see when I was in college with them. We won't say how many years that was!

They were followed by group after group of musicians paying tribute to Edred.

It was one of those magical evenings. I know that Monday night is a strange night to do something like this, but I'm glad to know that a group of jazz lovers came out.

After the benefit, I met Jan and Michael for dinner. We were joined by Gene Woolfolk, Sam Dunford and Tom Chadwick. We spent hours laughing and reminiscing. Even though I was not a music major, I knew a lot of the people who were in the music program at Columbus College (which of course is now Columbus State University).

Oh, what fun!

I hope we get a chance to do something like again.

No comments: