Tuesday, September 4, 2007

War Eagle!

I just had a birthday yesterday and I'm a little slower than I was on Sunday. I truly thought I'd write this post earlier. But I was pooped.

I was invited to the Auburn-Kansas State game by my good friend Geri Davis. Her family always tailgates at the home games. Saturday, it was Geri and her husband, Charles; son, Scott and his wife, Capri; son, Chuck and his wife Julie and their son, Ben. The eighth Davis was Will, Geri and Charles' grandson. Will's mom is Danni Davis Harris.

I knew all of them except Scott and Capri. And they are just as warm and friendly as the rest of the Davis clan.

I really had no idea what to expect Saturday.

They have their spot staked out behind the Telfair Peet Theatre. Scott and Capri were already there, with a tent and table. They had a portable generator so they could watch other games. And they had a portable air conditioner just in case we needed it!

I ate until I was stuffed. Scott was on one of the Food Network's famous challenges in 2004. It was the tailgate challenge and he got second place for his AU-Some Burgers. And they are truly awesome.

He also grilled some bratwurst. Capri made dips and so did Julie. Geri made pigs-in-blankets. And I made egg rolls.

Oh, we left Columbus at 12:30 p.m. for the 7 p.m. game!

That meant I had plenty of time to eat. We did walk around a little bit.

I told my mother that the best part of the whole day was the Tiger Walk. I could not believe the size of those football players. Those boys are huge. I couldn't believe the number of people who lined the streets the cheer on the team. Julie told me that for some games, the crowds are even bigger.

The weather was perfect. It was overcast for most of the day. Oh, well, then it rained just before the game started.

Fortunately, Geri packed ponchos. I never got wet. But that meant the eagle couldn't fly. And that's what I really, really wanted to see.

The game was OK. The team needs some work because they almost got beaten. It was in the latter part of the fourth quarter when the team looked like they decided they wanted to win.

I got home around 12:30 a.m., which meant I spent about 12 hours traveling to and from Auburn, tailgating and going to a game.

I had the best time!

I'd recommend it to anyone. I'm hoping that Dimon's going to let me go to some of the other games to judge the best tailgating contest that we're doing.

I'm an expert on tailgating now.

No comments: