Tuesday, April 17, 2007

You missed a great concert

If you weren't inside Legacy Hall last night for the Atanas Ourkouzoukov/Mie Ogura concert, you really missed a great one.

The guitarist and flutist were simply amazing.

I don't know how to play either the guitar or flute, and I'm certainly no expert on how either instrument should be played, but these two musicians were absolutely fabulous.

About 75 people were in the hall, which seats 450 people.

I realize it was a Monday night, but come on, people. It was free. And how many times are we able to see world-class musicians like this couple?

I also realize that the Columbus State University Schwob School of Music has at least one performance a night. Many of them are student recitals, but they're no less entertaining that the professionals who come to town.

I have to admit I haven't been a single student recital this year, but I try to go to at one a semester.

Student recitals should be free. But for concerts like the Ourkouzounov/Ogura concert, do you think there should be a ticket price? Even if it's $5? Does that make it seem more worthy?

I don't know.

I think because the Schwob School offers so many concerts every semester that the more free ones, the better.

But that's me. Let me know what you think.

No comments: