Thursday, April 19, 2007

Garrison Keillor and Michael Burks

OK, so the two men really don't have anything in common. That I know of.

Let me start with Keillor. I just don't get him. I've tried to listen to his show. My good friend Clason Kyle gave me a very expensive ticket for Keillor's appearance at the Springer Opera House. I hate to say this, but I left right after intermission.

I know many of you adore the man. I also know that there are fewer than 70 tickets left for the live radio broadcast of "A Prairie Home Companion" on April 28. Michael Rogers, the box office manager, just told me that there are nine seats in the $125 section right up front. And there are 68 limited view seats scattered in the Bill Heard Theatre. Those tickets are $40, $55 and $65.

So if you're dying to see the show, you'd better call the box office right away. That number is 706-256-3612.

Back to Michael Burks.

We've know each other for longer than either one of us would like to admit. Let's just say I was very, very young. He is much older.

When we met, he was doing marketing for WRBL-TV 3. Then Michael joined the Air Force and left town.

After he retired, Michael returned to Columbus, where we met up again. This time, he was the executive director of the Columbus Symphony Orchestra. And his youngest son was in high school.

That job wasn't exactly the right fit for him, and he went to work at Uptown Columbus.

What I didn't know about was his hobby. He was writing scripts. Movie scripts.

And while he was stationed in England, he met a guy, Tom Reeve, a British director and writer. The two of them have been collaborating for several years.

His first movie, "Diggity: A Home at Last," was filmed partially in Columbus, and starred Andrew McCarthy.

His second movie, "George and the Dragon," starred James Purefoy, Piper Perabo, Patrick Swayze, Michael Clarke Duncan and my favorite, Val Kilmer.

"George and the Dragon" is out on DVD now, so go buy one in a store near you. Michael gets royalties, so he can buy me lunch!

No comments: