Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Ease on Down the Road

Two years ago, the Liberty Theatre presented "The Wiz." It was one of the best shows done at the Liberty that I'd seen.

Even though there were no live musicians, the taped music was OK because the performers were so good.

The Liberty is bringing back "The Wiz," but for just one weekend, May 4-6. If you want to see it, you'd better get your tickets now. Show times are 8 p.m. May 4-5 and 3 p.m. May 6.

Dionne Daniels is a very sassy Dorothy with Ometrise Richmond as the Tin Man, Antonio Lawrence as the Lion and Walter J. Whelchel as the Scarecrow. Then there's Cheryl Johnson as Addaperle. She is just hilarious. Sylvia Wilson is Evilene and she owns that role. Whelchel and T.J. Abner as the Wiz are new to the cast. The rest of the principals were in the production two years ago.

All that said, if you love "The Wizard of Oz" stories, you need to see this show.

Two years ago, executive director Gayle Daniels said a lot of people called after the run and asked if she would extend the show because they didn't see it. And people told them they should have.

Because the show is so expensive, she could only run the show one weekend. Can she extend the show this year? Nope. Lawrence has to be at a relative's graduation the following weekend and he really can't be replaced. He's that good. But then again, so are the others.

I'm sure the Liberty would love to see three sold-out shows.

So go. You'll have a lot of fun.

And if you're one of those people who are afraid to venture into the Liberty district at night, don't be. I'm there all the time after dark and nothing has happened to me or my car. You'll be glad you went to the Liberty Theatre.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Are you going to leave halfway though this show?

Sandra Okamoto said...

No, Erin, I will not leave halfway through this show.

I can think of one other time when I left at intermission other than Garrison Keillor's appearance at the Springer Opera House.

It was during an opera at Columbus State University's Schwob School of Music. I was leaving the next day for my brother's house in South Florida. That was a 10-12 hour drive and I had not even packed. So I left during intermission, but made sure that the people who counted saw me. Yikes! This is the first time I've admitted this one.

Troy Heard said...

What the hell sort of comment is that?!