Tuesday, January 23, 2007

The Tap Dance King


In 1996, I made my first trip to New York City. I went with the students at Rivertown Dance Theater, which was my friend Janet Roddy's dance school. Yes, I actually took dance lessons. For those of you who have seen me in shows at the Springer Opera House, will probably not believe it, but it's not the teachers' fault. It's just me.


Anyway, during that trip, I really, really wanted to see "Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Funk." And all of us went to see the matinee.


It was choreographed and starred the incomparable Savion Glover. The show was amazing and I loved it. I even bought the CD.


Now, Glover is going to be doing "Classical Savion" in the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts inside Opelika High School, 1700 LaFayette Parkway in Opelika.


I was surprised to find out that there are still tickets available for the show Saturday night at 8:30 p.m. EST (7:30 p.m. Central).


Tickets are $23-$35 and will probably go fast once word gets out that there are still seats left. So I recommend that you call the box office at 334-749-8105. It's open 11 a.m.-1 p.m. and 2-4 p.m. (all Eastern time) Monday-Friday.


You don't want to drive to Opelika Saturday night without tickets and find that it's sold-out.


Back to "Bring in da Noise, Bring in da Funk." I was watching "West Wing" when it first came on the air and I noticed a young black actor on the show. Dule Hill played Charlie on the show. He looked very familiar and when I looked online, I discovered that he was in the show. So I got my CD and there he was. Hill is a wonderful dancer, though you'd never know by watching "West Wing."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As the Director of the Columbus Ironworks Convention and Trade Center back in the late 1080's, I have followed the development of the arts scene in Columbus.

I miss the energy of ole Columbus and often wish that I were living there in retirement.

Ms. Sandra - you go, Girl!

Anonymous said...

Opps! That was the 1980's! I'm old, but not that old!

HELLO ALL YOU ARTSY FOLKS IN OLE COLUMBUS, GA!

perryl said...

Hi Sandy, I like your blog. It looks and reads good.
I don't know if there's anything else you can really do to jazz it up except add some more background or somethng.
But that might detract from the message. Keep in touch. Perry & Deborah

Rhonda Curtis Waller said...

I'll be reading you. Isn't blogging fun? Go read me sometimes. I have to use a pseudonym because I often get racey (tee hee hee)

http://harriettefaulkner.blogspot.com/