Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dancin' fools

In the span of three days, I've been able to see two of the most different dance forms imaginable.

On Saturday, my friend Cathy Woolbright and I went over to the Opelika Center for the Performing Arts to see "Classical Savion." This was the show I wrote about last week. Savion Glover dancing to classical music.

He is simply amazing.

I remember at the beginning of fall semester, a bunch of us went to see Andrew Zohn, the professor of guitar at Columbus State University, perform in Legacy Hall. My colleague Michael Owens wrote something like, "After seeing Andrew Zohn perform, I can say he is a guitar player. I am a guitar owner."

I felt the same way after watching Glover. He is a true tap dancer. I own a pair of tap shoes.

In his artist's notes, he wrote, "I would also like to thank you for your support as we celebrate my 25th year as a hoofer in the performing arts."

Is he kidding? 25 years? Well, I guess so. I remember watching him the movie, "Tap," with both Gregory Hines and the incomparable Sammy Davis Jr. He was what, 12?

Glover danced to the music of Bach, Dvorak,Vivaldi, Bartok, Shostakovich and Mendelssohn. Who else would have thought to tap to the classics?

Thank you Phillip Preston for bringing this great show to Opelika!

And Tuesday night, I got to see Momix, thanks to my friend Oz Roberts. It's good to have friends with tickets, no?

This show was completely different. I mean, completely, utterly different.

Using black light and what I call "theater magic," these 11 dancers did some amazing things.

They floated, rotated, spun, flew across the stage.

I really tried to figure out how on earth they did these mind-boggling dances.

I know there were some platforms. I know there was some "flying," a la "Peter Pan."

But some things are just ... I don't know how to describe it.

If you missed either show, I know that it's too late to see Momix in Atlanta. But you can still see "Classical Savion" Friday or Saturday in the Rialto Center for the Performing Arts, 80 Forsythe St. Tickets are $36-$62. Call 404-651-4727.

No comments: