Monday, July 9, 2007

It's a small world after all

You know when someone says, "It's a small world."

It sounds like such a cliche. That is, until you think about it.

How many times do you run into someone you know in an unexpected place?

I was at Epcot in Orlando, standing in line for some ride, when I saw someone I knew from Columbus. Another time, I was in Philadelphia, leaving the hotel to walk to the museum when I bumped into Janice Biggers. We said at the same time, "What are you doing here?"

Last week, my niece, Jessica, asked if I'd met the new reporter at WTVM 9. I said I haven't covered local media in years, so I told her I had not.

Jess said, "She's from back home." To Jessica, Columbus is not yet home. She was born in Hollywood, Fla., and grew up in the Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood suburb of Cooper City. So even though her parents no longer live there, it's still home to her.

Anyway, Laurie Bernstein, the newest member of the News Leader team, is from Cooper City. She graduated from Cooper City High School with my nephew, Scott. And Laurie and Jess played soccer at CCHS. When Jess was a freshman, she was one of two freshmen to make the varsity soccer team. Laurie was a junior then. So they played on the same team for two years.

Laurie went to American University in Washington, D.C., so it's been four years since the two girls saw each other.

I went on the WTVM Web site and e-mailed Laurie, inviting her to our Fourth of July cookout. She had to work the station's Thunder on the Hooch event, so it wasn't until after 7 p.m. before she came to Fred and Cheryl's house.

They chatted for quite a while and we all had a great time.

I'm glad Laurie got to see a familiar face and got to hang out with us. She said she got a little homesick when her family called her earlier in the day.

And it really is a small world, after all, isn't it?

No comments: