Wednesday, January 7, 2009

"Jaws"

Robert Shaw (from left), Roy Scheider and Richard Dreyfus in "Jaws."

Yesterday afternoon, I started feeling yucky and by this morning, I knew I'd caught that cold that my body had been fighting.

I did try to go to work, but it took me a while.

This morning, HBO was showing "Jaws."

I'd forgotten how good that movie was. I was also remembering the first time I saw it.

It was in the old Plaza Theatre in Cross Country Plaza. I went my BFF Hernice. Even when the movie was beginning, she had her feet on the seat. Within the first few minutes, she was muttering to herself, "It's only a movie. We're nowhere near the ocean. It's only a movie."

By the time the shark got its second victim, she leaned over and said she'll be in the lobby.

Hernice never came back.

When the movie was over, I found her in the lobby, smoking and talking to the kids running the concession stand.

It turned out that while she liked going to the beach, she never got in the water because she couldn't swim.

All that went through my head while watching the movie.

Then I thought since Hollywood is remaking movies left and right, why not a new version of "Jaws"?

But who would get the roles of Chief of Police Brody (the late Roy Scheider), shark hunter Quint (the late Robert Shaw) and the marine biologist Hooper?

Let's see -- Russell Crowe as Quint. That's a no brainer. The police chief? Keifer Sutherland, maybe. And the young Hooper? Ashton Kutcher?

What do you think?

Or maybe I was just delirious!

1 comment:

Troy Heard said...

That's the delirium kicking in. My mom saw Jaws when she was preganant with me...maybe you guys were at the same screening. But we think that's why I'm so twisted...the adrenaline shocks she recieved during that movie...