Friday, January 9, 2009

Dorothy, Part 2

My youngest sister Patty was working in Atlanta all this week and was coming home last night. So she stopped at Hartsfield-Jackson International and managed to catch up with Dorothy before she got on her flight.

I saw Patty this afternoon and she said Dorothy was a little freaked out about going to Africa.

I'm guessing she was happy to see Patty, though.

We got an e-mail from Dorothy. She has an overnight layover in London.

"Well I made it to London all right -- just tired. Can you believe that a Thursday night flight was full? And I WAS in the middle seat. It was 2-3-2. I feel like I was beat up. Needless to say, I didn't get much sleep. I did get fed twice and got plenty to drink, including a beer with dinner. I did manage to fall asleep a little bit during Wall-E. By the time I got my bag (and stored it at the airport), waited on the shuttle (4 pounds) and got to the hotel, it was about 2:30 London time. I spoke to the desk clerk about maybe going into London tonight, but he said Friday afternoon and evening traffic was horrendous and he really didn't think it was a great idea. Besides as tired as I was and am, he was probably right. So I messed around and got my laptop working. I tried to send you an e-mail before I left for dinner, but it wouldn't go through. This network is slow and not very reliable. Hopefully you'll get it sometime. Even now I'm connecting and disconnecting to the network.

Both the desk clerk and the doorman recommended a pub/restaurant down the street. It was very cold walking to it, but the food was good. I had a very good salad and the Pheasant (the name of the restaurant) Grill. This definitely was a Fred dish. It had steak, calf's liver, sausage, ham and lamb chop. The lamb chop and the liver were my favorites. I had to try an English dessert, so as I'm typing, I'm taking bites of treacle pudding (kind of a steamed sponge cake with caramel sauce) and dunking it into cream (to cut the sweet :-) )

Tomorrow I'm going to try to go to the British Museum. The concierge suggested it and also said it's free. He said said that there's other things within walking distance of there to see also.

Anyway, I'm going to get ready to go to bed. I hope this goes through."

So it seems as if she's having a good time. Tomorrow, she'll board a flight to Rome. From Rome, she goes to Addis Abbaba, Ethiopia. From Ethiopia, she'll go to Djibouti.

When we learned she was going to Djibouti, we laughed that she wouldn't be able to get there from Charleston. We were right!

So far, so good.

No comments: