Thursday, July 10, 2008

One more thing on Day 19 in Japan

Relaxing before the work starts. The tattoo artist, Tomoya Tsuchida, has already put the stencil on my hip.

The tattoo artist was meticulous, going over the tattoo several times to make sure it was right.


My little dragon is on my left hip, just below my waist. It was red for about a day. I haven't had any problems at all.


I almost forgot.

I got my tattoo, just before going to LaLa Port for dinner with the gang.

For weeks, even before getting to Japan, Jessica had been talking about getting a tattoo in Japan. I'd always wanted one, so I told her that I'd get one. Fred said he would, too. By the time the last day came around, Patty said she would also.

When we got to Japan on May 21, we asked our cousins to find us a tattoo shop. They were horrified. They wanted to know why we wanted them.

There's still a stigma in Japan.

In fact, none of the spas will allow you in if you have a tattoo.

Tattoos are a mark of the Yakuza (the Japanese mafia) and most public baths and spas don't want anything to do with them.

So I'm guessing the next time I go, I'll have to have a bandage on mine.

Anyway, Ken-chan found Tattoo H & M's in Chiba.

I knew exactly what I wanted, so I went first.

As I was lying on the table, I heard giggling. When I looked up, Jessica, Fred and Patty were laughing. I knew those people were NOT getting tattooed that day.

And they didn't.

It doesn't matter. I have a very pretty tattoo of a black dragon. Not too big and in place where no one can really see unless I show them.

The reason I waited until I was 55 is because I KNEW it would hurt.

But it did not hurt one bit. Honestly.

All of my friends who have them told me it wouldn't. I just never believed them.

It was only about $130.

Will I get another?

Maybe.

P.S. A week after we got back, Fred and Jessica got tattoos at a South Columbus shop.

No comments: