Monday, May 21, 2007

I'm danced out this season

I came in to work on Saturday to finish a few things for To Do that I failed to finish on Friday.

Imagine my surprise when I found that my computer was on the fritz and so was the "good" computer. At least I couldn't sign on to my own blog!

I did as much as I could and then I went to "Aladdin," Patty Taylor's Academy of Fine Arts' spring recital.

As recitals go, it was a very well done show. It's a brand-new production for Patty, so the sets and costumes were spectacular. The dancers were very good. The little ones, as at any recital, were the real crowd-pleasers.

I personally knew a few of the dancers because I've interviewed them, but I'm not close to any of them.

Once, I told a friend that was I was going to a dance recital. She looked at me like I was crazy.

"Are you related to anyone in the show?"

Um, no.

"Do you know anyone in the show?"

Well, no.

"Do you really want to spend a couple of hours watching little kids dance?"

No.

"Then don't go."

I thought that was great advice.

But I went to see half of Patty's show last year and it was fun. So I decided to go this year. And I had fun.

Come to think of it, last year, I went to Gayle Humphries' spring recital as well as Janda Cearley's.

Yikes! I can't believe I actually went to three recitals last year.

Next year, I'll probably go to one of the other schools' recital.

I can't promise that I will. I'll probably have my arm twisted and go to at least one.

As for as dancing goes, I'm addicted to "Dancing With the Stars." I'm rooting for Apolo Anton Ohno. He's no Mario Lopez, but of the three dancers left, I like him the best. Of course, Laila Ali is very good, as is Ian Zierling. But there's something about Zierling's face I don't like.

We'll see this week who wins.

No comments: