Monday, May 14, 2007

Jesus Christ Superstar


One of my best friends, Oz Roberts, is out of town this week. OK, it's more than out of town. The Aflac President's Club is on a cruise in the Mediterranean, and of course, he had to go. He called his wife, V.J., from Nice, France.

Work. Right.

Anyway, since he's gone, I was V.J.'s date tonight to see "Jesus Christ Superstar" in the Bill Heard Theatre.

It was really, really good. I saw it probably 10 years ago in Atlanta's Fox Theatre with Ted Neeley as Jesus and the late Carl Anderson as Judas. It was good then, but it might be better now.

Unlike some shows, this one holds up very well.

When I interviewed Neeley over the phone last week, he asked two things of me. One was that I come backstage to meet him after the show. The second was to bring copies of the story for him.

OK, that's easy.

After the show, I asked V.J. if she wanted to go backstage with me and she said she needed to pick up her daughter, Jessica.

Neeley's gorgeous young daughter, Tessa, came to the lobby to get me. She just finished the spring semester in college, and joined the show, selling merchandise. In the Green Room, I met her brother, Zack, who is working props. He's been with the show since January. Tessa said she wanted to learn as much as she can because she's going into either communications or business.

Then she left with some of the cast and crew to get back to the hotel.

While I waited on Neeley, I spoke with Ricky Weeks, who works security at the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts.

Neeley greeted me like an old friend. He was really, really nice.

I told him that I was very impressed with Corey Glover, who is playing Judas. Neeley said Anderson was supposed to be on this tour with him, but he died of leukemia. Glover, he said, is making the role his own, and not in Anderson's shadow.
I liked it. Let me know what you think. A couple of friends thought Neeley was too old for the role. Others in the lobby said they were amazed how well his voice has held up over the years.
It's his "farewell" tour as Jesus, and there was a huge ovation at the end Monday night.

There are still tickets left for Tuesday night's show. It starts at 7:30 p.m. in the Bill Heard Theatre. Most of the seats are in the balcony, but I don't think it matters much where you sit in that theater. There are very few obstructed view seats in the entire hall.

Tickets are $40-$50.

Call 706-256-3612.

No comments: