Monday, March 26, 2007

A busy Saturday

Saturday was such a busy day that all I wanted to do was sleep Sunday. But my brother called and asked us to come over for dinner at his new house. So we did and we had a great time.



But getting back to Saturday. The day started out bright and early for me because it was the day Page One judging was going on at Spencer High School. I was not a judge, but I've always helped out. I worked with several of my co-workers signing the nominees in before they go in front of the judges.



I've judged before and it's a tough, tough job. The kids are so accomplished that I wondered out loud if they ever slept. One of the kids heard me and said she got very little sleep. She said she'd sleep once she's finished with college.



That went from about 8:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.



Then I left to make sure I got to the Springer Opera House for the Columbus Ballet's matinee.



It was a wonderful show. "Cinderella" was just the right length and the young girls were just very good. I saw the show with Kelsey Hirsch and this 14-year-old is very, very talented. Her counterpart, Hayden Harrison, is also a gifted dancer.



And while I liked "Cinderella," I really liked "Four Lads From Liverpool." Beth Griffin's final dance for the Columbus Ballet was just stunning. The choreography was simple but very effective. The songs she chose were just right.



I'm going to miss Beth. She was one of my very first ballet teachers when I decided to take up the dance form. Instead of taking it up when I was very young, I was very old -- 39. When I was 40, I actually went en pointe. But not for long. I just wanted the shoes. I still have them in the trunk of my car. I mean, after all, if anyone needed a pair of point shoes for a photo shoot, I'd have them, right?



After the ballet, I came in to the office to finish a couple of stories and then it was off to the Columbus Museum.



I'm in the first few months of a two-year term as president of the board of the Film Society of the Columbus Museum, also known as the Columbus Film Society. So I knew that I had to be at the Chattahoochee Film and Video Competition.

We had a great time, and actually made money. So it was a good start for my presidency. My predecessor, Cheryl Yatsko, said over and over that she didn't want to be the president that lost money for the Film Society. I don't want to be that president, either!

I got home about 10 p.m. Tired. But it was a really fulfilling day. I just don't want to do this every week.

2 comments:

balletdancer said...

Thanks Sandra for your kind comments about the ballet this past Saturday. And thanks for all your support. I'll send you information about our summer classes soon. Maybe you would like to take classes again? David

Sandra Okamoto said...

David,

Maybe this old body can handle a class. We'll have to see.

And the ballet was fabulous last week.

Kudos to you and the dancers.

Sandra