Thursday, February 1, 2007

This is for the Rent-heads

When "Rent" was conceived by the late Jonathan Larson, he knew that a lot of the people who would want to see it wouldn't be able to afford the tickets.

So he made sure that in every venue "Rent" plays, affordable tickets would be available for "starving" artists and students for $20. And the seats would not be in the nosebleed section, but right up front.

When I contacted the RiverCenter for the Performing Arts to find out when those $20 tickets go on sale, neither the PR person nor the box office manager knew what I was talking about.

I even argued with the PR person, who is a friend of mine. She had never heard of such a thing.

Finally, the box office manager said that the "student rush" tickets would go on sale 30 minutes before the show on Monday for $23.

So that's what I put in today's To Do.

After To Do was finished, I got an e-mail late Wednesday afternoon from the box office manager apologizing for misunderstanding what I was asking. Actually, I thought I was pretty clear about my question.

The $20 tickets will be available starting at 5:30 p.m. Monday. There are 35 seats available on rows A and B of the Bill Heard Theatre.

I know that the last time "Rent" played at the Heard Theatre, there was a huge line of mostly young people in line in front of the box office.

If you want a ticket, I suggest you go early. Take a friend to keep your place in line in case you need to use the bathroom or buy a soda.

Good luck in getting a ticket!

No comments: