Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Cooking

The more I get to know Jamie Keating, the more I like the man.

I first met Jamie, who was the executive chef for Milliken up in LaGrange, two years ago. He was the head judge at the Steeplechase at Callaway Gardens' Galloping Gourmets competition.

He was amazing. Just his knowledge of food was mind-boggling.

I told him I had him on my list of people I needed to interview.

Well, it took another couple of years for me to get around to talking to him. It was when he decided to reopen the Columbus Museum's The Place for Taste Cafe.

The plans he's got for the Bibb Mill, where he opened his first restaurant, the RiverMill Cafe, is going to be the talk of the town and the place to go.

Sitting in the little sunroom of the RiverMill Cafe, you get this glorious view of the Chattahoochee River. It's simply gorgeous.

Then he showed me where the main dining room is going to be once the planned hotel goes in. Wow!

Until then, he has the two lunch-time restaurants, and he's conducting cooking classes.

He's got one 6:30-8:30 p.m. Thursday at the RiverMill Cafe, 3715 First Ave.

Jamie's going to demonstrate how to make holiday appetizers and give tips on how to cook a turkey and other "big" items for dinner without stressing yourself out.

For $25, you get to listen to Jamie, taste the food and get a booklet of the recipes.

It's not a bad deal.

Call Cathy Stout at 706-302-8208 and let her know you're coming.

No comments: