Wednesday, February 28, 2007

The King and I

I hate being sick. But as I get older, I find I catch colds very easily. I've been sitting at home for two days. I'm borrowing my sister's laptop to write this one.

OK.

You probably know that I love the Springer Opera House. Even though I'm going to be critical of the Springer, I'll still go see shows and I'll still write about it and possibly still be in shows.

"The King and I" will begin Thursday night. It's going to be a very popular show. Already, some of the nights (and the matinee) are close to selling out.

My beef is that there are no Asians in the cast.

I realize that Paul Pierce, the artistic director at the Springer, is color-blind when it comes to casting. I've found that to be very, very admirable.

But how can you do a show like "The King and I" and not have a single Asian in the cast? Especially for the kids of the court? I'm certain that there are plenty of Asian children who can sing who live in the Columbus area.

Paul assured me that he spent a "lot of time, energy and money" trying to cast Asians in this show.

I believe him when he said that. But I think he was talking about the adult roles.

I was told that the Asian Pacific Alliance here in town was contacted about local singers, dancers and actors who might be interested in being in the show. There didn't seem to be any interest.

I think perhaps I should have done a better job trying to get the word out. I didn't do it, though I thought about it briefly last summer.

All of that said, I'm sure the show will be wonderful. Steve Valentini, whom I love, will be a great King. And Debbie Anderson, whom I adore, will be a fabulous Anna. Other friends like Raymond Campbell, Jens Rasmussen and Daniel Windsor are in it and I'll go see them.

I saw photos from the first time the Springer did the show and I was really worried that this cast will do the same kind of grotesque makeup of exaggerated "slanted" eyes. I absolutely hate that kind of makeup on Caucasian people.

But I was reassured from the Springer's costumer that the makeup will be very light and not exaggerated.

We'll see.

You have to know that I boycotted "Memoirs of a Geisha" because all of the main roles were filled by Chinese actors.

Let me know your thoughts.

No comments: